Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you; don't go back to sleep." -Rumi



One of the first thoughts to cross the radar screen of the mind this morning was this quote by Rumi. I'd first heard this spoken by Wayne Dyer and anytime I found my eyelids popping open at unusually odd early morning hours, these words would come to mind. Today I followed the advice of the timeless sage and without skipping my morning mantra (I feel terrific, repeated three times), I rose swiftly out of bed and stepped out into the cool morning air.

The roosters in the neighbors' backyards had not yet begun their chorus of crowing. The air was cool, yet comforting. I was inspired to write. The time was 4:49 am.

So today is the first of many daily exercises in writing. As my swollen fingers bump into the keyboard, I feel less than graceful in my approach. But I know this is merely an action of the mind to stop me from doing what my spirit knows is a healthy exercise. Grabbing my mind by the scruff of its neck, I tell this organ of the body, "I am in charge."

Who is the I in charge? Ah, the question to ponder; or more importantly, another one to merely observe and let go.

Letting go: a new concept to replace my more than thirty year history of clinging. It would seem so ridiculous now to think of things as permanent. What a silly concept we humans have invented! Letting go replaces the attachment to pain, past joys, embarrassments, prideful accomplishments, etc. With both good and bad experiences removed from incessant thinking, my awareness can refocus on the action items of the present moment. The less attached I am to concepts, labels, beliefs and judgments, the more serene my existence becomes in this moment.


"Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all." 
-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg 


So let's take today to observe our thoughts when we feel strong opinions of our families, co-workers, and loved ones. The pause we can create before speaking, acting and even thinking, creates the awareness that leads to more conscious living. This is true peace. It needn't be a surreal nor other-worldly concept. The peace between two people can be easily demonstrated by removing the contrasts. Yes, we all have different interests, come from different backgrounds, etc., but aren't we more similar than we may appear different?

Let us ponder our similarities today and allow our differences to merely sit off in the background.

In loving kindness (practicing metta),
Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment